Misti M. Schmidt
Misti focuses her practice on conservation easements and regularly provides guidance to property owners and land trusts regarding the structuring, negotiating, and closing of conservation transactions. She has particular experience representing landowners with respect to the myriad legal issues arising for rural land holdings and representing land trusts with respect to tax exemptions.
Misti spearheads the Carbon Working Group for the California Council of Land Trusts and is a contributing author to the firm’s blog, which provides insights into conservation and charitable contributions. Her recent articles include:
- “California Legislature Amends Venerable Conservation Easement Statute: New Civil Code 815.11”
- “IRS Publishes New Gift Substantiation Regulations”
- “Hobby Lobby Case Highlights Limitations on Charitable Deductions Claimed by Irrevocable Trusts“
- “Bipartisan House Bill Addresses Syndicated Conservation Easement Tax Shelters“
Misti is admitted to practice law in California and Washington. She is Editor-in-Chief for the California Real Property Journal, which is published by the State Bar’s Real Property Law Section. She is a member of the San Francisco Bar Association’s Real Property and Environmental Law Sections, the Land Trust Alliance, and the California Council of Land Trusts. Prior to law school, Misti served as an AmeriCorps*VISTA Leader at Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Kansas City, Missouri.
When she is not wearing her lawyer hat, you’ll find Misti gardening, indoor rock climbing, or playing the harp.
New York University School of Law (2019)
University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (2007)
B.A., cum laude
Louisiana State University (2002)
Misti received her B.A. from Louisiana State University (2002), where she graduated cum laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She received her J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (2007), where she received a Certificate in Environmental Law, was Associate Editor of Ecology Law Quarterly, and was a member of the Moot Court Board. While at Boalt, Misti received the American Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence in The Law of Hazardous Waste: CERCLA, RCRA and Common Law Claims, and the Prosser Award for Academic Excellence in Animal Law.
Misti recently completed an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law.
Honors and Awards
Misti was selected to receive the California State Bar Real Property Section’s 2016 Morning Star Award for young lawyers who have shown “early promise in real property practice and dedication of service to the State Bar and the highest ethical standards.” She’s also been honored many times for her pro bono legal services. She was awarded the Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award (2009, 2010, and 2012 – 2018) by the San Francisco Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Program.
Misti’s publications and speaking engagements include:
- Regular Speaker at the Land Trust Alliance annual conference and the California Council of Land Trust Conservation Law Forum, in topics such as “Carbon Credits in Conservation Easements,” “Recent Court Cases Affecting Land Trusts and Donations,” “Interactive Roundtable on Advanced Tax Issues and Case Update,” and “Practical Pointers on IRS Form 8283 and Contemporaneous Written Acknowledgement” (2016 – present)
- Speaker, “Anatomy of a Conservation Easement,” Sustainable Economies Law Center legal retreat (September 2016)
- Editor-in-Chief and Issue Co-Editor, California Real Property Law Journal, Issue 1, Volume 34; Issue 3, Volume 33; Issue 2, Volume 32; Issue 4, Volume 33; Article Editor, Issue 1, Volume 32, Issues 1, 2, and 4, Volume 31, and Issue 4, Volume 30 (2012 – present)